Friday, December 7, 2007
Connor and 911.......Again
So yesterday around 6:30 I had just gotten home from cub scouts with the kids and Josh was gone taking the boys home. I was starting to make dinner and I had Connor sitting on the counter by me while I was putting the noodles in the water. He tipped over so I was sitting him back up and he just tipped over to the other side so I said to him Hey what are you doing and then I looked at him and his eyes were rolled back and he wasn't breathing, kinda making a gurgling noise. Well I freak out and my first thought is that he is chocking so I started pounding him on the back and then I turned him over and started the hiemlich manuver thing well nothing was happening and I thought heck I'm not wasting time so I called 911. I was talking so fast that I had to repeat myself a couple of times and by the time I finished telling her what was going on he was starting to breath again and his eyes weren't rolled back anymore. The operator still wanted to sent the paramedics just to check him out and make sure everything was fine. At this time he was just really tired and starting to fall asleep, he was tired to start with because he missed his nap while we were at scouts, but it was more of a lethargic look and he was really pale. He has had a fever for a few days but I thought it was because he was teething. The paramedics wanted to take him to the hospital to have him checked out so I got to ride in an ambulance for the first and hopefully last time ever. It was crazy because there was an ambulance, rescue truck and a big fire truck out in the parking lot. Lots of neighbors had come out to watch the show. When we got to the hospital they had to take a rectal temp, which he slept through and then they drew blood, took a chest x-ray, checked his ears and discovered that he had double ear infections. They figured that he had a febral seizure. I guess it's a fever that little kids get when their body temp spikes too fast. Not a real common thing but now that he has had one he is more likely to get them so we have to be really careful when he gets fevers and be aggressive with them. They also gave him a shot of antibiotics to treat the ear infections and he is doing better today, still pretty onery though. Other then that we are all doing well and I am ready to go back to our lives being boring.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Oh MY!!! I think I would probably have freaked out! Like screaming, panic, chaos, mayhem! Sheesh! I am SO glad that everything is OK! How scary! We love ya!
ReplyDeleteShar
I'm so glad he is doing better! And way to go on not freaking out and being about to actually do the heimlich manouver on your own child. I'm so proud!
ReplyDeleteWow Jess, way to handle it. I would have had a come a full blown apart. That's really scary. I'm so glad that everything is okay now. Love ya, Jenna
ReplyDeleteI am so glad that everything is okay. I must've barely left work when all of this happened! Hopefully he is doing better and you can relax a little. Thanks again for watching my little guy!
ReplyDeleteScary!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad everything turned out ok, I always wonder what I would do in a situation like that. Hopefully I never have to but..... you never know.
So scary! I am glad it worked out okay!
ReplyDeleteI am so glad he is okay. You really did handle everything well. I'm sure I would have been freaking out.
ReplyDeleteSO scary! I'm glad that you were able to handle everything and that he is o.k.
ReplyDeleteI can't beleive that happened!! Just reading about it gave me anxiety! That is so terrifying!! I hope everything is ok now. I hope we get to see you guys over Christmas. Your kids are growing so fast!!
ReplyDeleteoops, I don't know how to use this thing. That was me, robyn, that sent that last post. hee hee
ReplyDeleteJess,
ReplyDeleteThat is so scary. You did great though. That is so crazy because my mom said my little cousin Ry's age had a seizure on Thursday. My cousin gave him tylenol for a fever and they think the tylenol reacted to fast and he had a seizure. You just never know. Take care and let me know when you are up this way.
Love ya,
Steph:)
I am freaking out just reading the post!! I am so glad that everything is okay. You did great, I am very impressed! Jen
ReplyDeleteI still can't believe that! I would be so scared, I'm glad he is fine.
ReplyDelete