Saturday, October 4, 2008

Yeah! It's Over!!

So I am sitting here trying to decide how I want to word this post. Do I want to say what a great accomplishment it was for me to run another marathon and that I had a great experience and loved it and can't wait to do another one? Or do I want to tell the truth and say that it was TERRIBLE! The weather was miserable rainy and windy (with the wind against us) and cold. I rode the 4 am bus up to the starting line because I wanted to put my name into the drawing for some great prizes but don't know yet if I won anything. I had no one that I knew that was up there for the first 2hrs so I was pretty bored. Luckily I found Robyn and Traci for about 25min before the race started.


I decided to run with on of the Cliff Bar Pace guys. I was going for a 4:30 and knew that if I just stayed with him then I would be okay. The race starts and I immediately feel like I have to pee so I hit the porta pottie at mile 1 and thought to myself this is going to be a long race if I have to stop alot.


Mile 2- I find Andrea (Andy who I work with wife) and we start to talk and decided to run together. We just started running and left the pace guy behind and I'm thinking we are doing great, I feel great but maybe we are running a little to fast for the start.


Miles 3,4,5,6- Feeling pretty good but my knees are kinda starting to ache and cramp. Andrea says it's the cold. It is raining slightly at this point but still windy.


Miles 7,8,9,10,11, 12- The rain is coming down hard and it feels like you are running while taking a shower because of the rain streaming in your eyes. Knees are still killing me. Veyo hill wasn't too bad. Loving Andrea's run for 7 min walk 1 min strategy


Miles 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20,- All these miles are kinda a blur of pain and agony. Every time we stop running and take our little walk break I feel like my knees are going to give out and then when we start running again it hurts so much. The downhill action is killing me. Andrea is great and really encouraging me.


Miles 21, 22, 23, 24 ,- I want to cry. When we came down off of Snow Canyon Parkway I didn't want to walk during our break because I thought Ellen and Lou would be there and I didn't want them to see me walking (pride I know). I didn't see them but I'm glad because I was getting a bit emotional at this time knowing that is was close to being over but I still had so far to go and probably would have cried if I saw them. We did slap the hands of the kids as we passed but that almost took more energy then I had. Andrea was like a rock star and so many people knew her and were cheering for her so I just pretended that they were cheering for me.


Mile 25, 26- At this point we only have 1.2 miles to go and there are lots of people cheering you on and you know that you are so close to the finish line and you can hear the crowd cheering. Andrea's energy was starting to fade so I just kept telling her that we were awesome and we were going to kick butt and I would pick out people in front of us to pass. Rounding the corner of the last block was great and I was looking for Josh because I really needed some encouragement at the moment. After I saw him and the kids I just took off for the end and I think I finished pretty strong. My friend Jenny came to watch and I heard her yelling for me and she says that I looked pretty strong and calm coming in. Inside I was thinking hurry up and get to the finish line dang it! The ice cream cone and the warm lemon scented towel at the end was the best. I forgot about my knees for a minute as I was talking to Andrea and telling her thanks so much for running with me. She really saved me and helped me reach my goal. Oh, my time was 4:27:14! I was really excited and I cut 27 min off my first marathon time! I hope to one day break the 4 hour mark but right now I don't ever want to run another marathon again or at least this year.


Josh and I went to Cafe Rio after and then came home and I had a ice bath and Pomegranate Blueberry juice drink. Ellen's friend who does Iron Man's says the stuff is good for the joints. I think I have ruined mine because I can honestly barely walk right now. I took a nice hot shower and got dry and warm and then Josh rubbed my legs for me and I had a three hour nap. Josh is now at the Priesthood session and I can't wait for him to come home because then McKendry will go to bed and he will go and get me a Pumpkin Pie Blizzard with Cheesecake bites from Dairy Queen! That is my reward and I won't feel bad about it because according to my Garmin watch I burned 3066 calories running the race so I will eat whatever I want!


This is me before the race.
This is me thinking about running the race. This is what time I left my house to make it on the early bird bus.
Josh and I after the race. If you look hard you can see me holding up I finisher's medal between us. What a cute family!
Holding up my time slip and very happy about it too!
Kenny with her marathon winner. She thinks I won and I told her Yeah I won because I finished it and she said Oh there's lots of winners huh. Alot of people had their medals still on because I think they are too tired to care about taking them off. Also we worked hard for them and don't want to lose them
Andrea and I. We are pretty wasted and that ice cream rocked!
Don't let the smile fool you. I may act happy but I was really crying inside and so thankful that I could see the end in sight. I kicked it in the butt after this and it was soon over!!

26 comments:

  1. Jessica! I am so proud of you!!! You are sooooo awesome! Good job on all the hard work and for finishing with such a great time!! I've been trying to pick up running, but can barely run 4 miles. Wish I could have been down there to cheer you on. Good job!!! ---robyn

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jess, I am never going to run marathon. It sounds horrible!I may runa half with you one day but that is it. I am very proud of you thugh!! Your awesome! Sorry I wasn't there. Next I will be ther cheering loud and proud for you! Love ya!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an acomplishment! Great job Jessica!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Way to go. That sucks that the weather was so bad. But that makes finishing the race even more of an accomplishment. Congratulations on your time. That's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Way to go! You look great by the way. That stinks that it was raining.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I will have to agree with you that the marathon sucked!! 18 miles of wet rain!!! Glad to be done though-- great time girl!! YOu are such a stud!! I'm going to run like you some day!! Talk to ya later!! Triathalon coming up in November if ya want!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations! It sounds like you did awesome, Great Job!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You shaved off 27 min in time!!! That is amazing. If you keep that up for the next one, you will only have to run one more and you have reached your goal. Great job and you had a ton of people all around america cheering for you. So, in a way, pretending all those people were cheering was accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You rock woman. I am so jealous. You're one up on me now. I remember seeing you the first time we both ran it. I need to get training, you have totally motivated me to do another one. I can't believe it rained, is this like the first time it has EVER rained during the St. George Marathon, what is up with that. I am so proud of you Jess, what a cool thing.. two marathons under your belt, wahoo!! Not many can say that. Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! You're awesome! I was sitting indoors on Saturday just watching the rain...I completely forgot it was the marathon, what wonderful weather for running! Nice job, there's no way I could run a full marathon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. First off I think you are crazy for running in it! and second congrats and to end smiling! I hear some people pee their pants! Hope that wasn't the case with you!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Unbelieveable! You are amazing Jes. I honestly don't know how anyone can run that far...and by choice no less! There are some days when I dred my 45min workout video in the morning and there you are running for four and a half hours. Can I just say WOW. I got tired just reading your describtion. Great Job

    ReplyDelete
  13. YOu are freaking awesome! I can never picture myself running that far. You should be so proud of yourself. Sorry the conditions were so horrible!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jess I'm soooooo proud of you, I still have no desire to run that far, give me a 5k any day and it will kill me. Hopefully you're feeling a little better today. I love how dedicated you are to everything you do, what a great example to me!! Love ya Aunt Jill

    ReplyDelete
  15. Jess,
    Congrats your so awesome and seriously what a great thing you can say you have done. You look great!! You made me tear up a little reading your story..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congratulations Jess!! You're my hero! I don't think I could ever run a full marathon. Especially if it means leaving the house at 3 am! I would like to run the half marathon in Moab this spring. I'll be calling you for pointers!! Good Job!

    ReplyDelete
  17. PSYCHO! ! ! ! Proud of you, but I still firmly believe you are a psycho! :) XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are totally amazing for running the marathon AGAIN. Reading your post almost made me cry. I can only imagine the emotion you felt. GREAT JOB!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Way to go Jess! I was thinking of you that day. Mostly I was feeling sorry for you...your blog post solidified that I never never want to run a marathon! But I am always amazed with people who can do it. Amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  20. that is too awesome! congrats. your my hero!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Awesome Jessica! Great job on finishing! I heard that it was pretty bad weather. You are an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  22. you are so awesome, you inspire me!!!! I am so happy for you!!

    Cassie

    ReplyDelete
  23. Way to go! You are amazing!! I am teary eyed just reading this.

    ReplyDelete
  24. jess!! i'm so proud of you! that is such a great accomplishment! i honestly have no desire to run a marathon, but i have the utmost respect for those that do! it is so hard on your body and is such an emotional thing, but so rewarding and what a great goal to have accomplished!! i saw your cute family at the finish line, and i wanted to say hi, but i remembered that they have no clue who i am and that might be a little weird... :) i was going to stay to cheer you on, but wade ran and he was so cold that his whole mouth was blue... and he didn't eat a popsicle or anything... yikes! so i had to get him home quick... but i'm seriously so proud of you! great time!!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Good Job Jessica!! Completing a marathon is a great accomplishment, especially in that weather.


    -Peter-

    ReplyDelete
  26. Jess... wow! I kept checking your blog to see if you had updated because I couldn't find ya anywhere at the marathon. Your post almost made me cry. I can't even begin to imagine the emotions you must have felt. I have told you before that I want to do one someday so I might need you to help me out. Great job.. I am very proud!!!

    ReplyDelete