I want everyone who reads this to stop what they are doing right now and go and hug your children and if you don't have any then go and hug your husband or even your neighbor. Heck call your mom but go and do it now!
I am working the graveyard shift right now and this morning at about 1am we had a 2yr old full arrest and the little boy didn't make it. The parents have no idea what happened but they went to check on him after they had put him to bed about 45mins later and he wasn't breathing. They could never get a pulse on him. They also had to drive all the way from H-town in the ambulance. When I heard "full arrest, 2yr old boy from H-town" I got a little nervous thinking it could by my 2yr old boy from H-town. They also had a little girl who looked to be about 1 1/2yrs old. The mom was beside herself and the dad had a shocked look about him. After I knew they were going to call it and were just waiting for the on call Peds doctor I had to leave cause I was losing it. I called Josh and woke him up and made him go and check on the kids. It woke Kenny up and I told Josh that he had to let her sleep with him and that I wanted to talk to her.
This experience brings to home how much I take my children and their health for granted. I need to spend more quality time with them, play with them more, talk nicer to them and just love on them more. Tonight has shaken me up pretty good and I just needed to write this stuff down. Now quite reading this and go love on your kids!!
Oh my gosh that's horrible. Ugh...those moments I do NOT miss about working. Did they ever figure out what happened? 2 year full arrest? What is going on in the world today! Healthy kids is an amazing blessing. I pray for it every day.
ReplyDeleteThat is so crazy! Oh my gosh! I went and kissed Grace and hugged her even though she has toast on her face.
ReplyDeleteJess,
ReplyDeleteThats awful. When you see those things it's hard to get that picture out of your head. I can still see the picture of the day they brought a 2 year old in from the babysitter that had died of SIDS. I know I take way to many things for granted.
Stephanie Goble
That is heart breaking! Hearing about it is sad enough, I'm sorry you had to SEE it. I feel so blessed to have my two healthy boys, even when they are being their naughtiest. I need to hug them right now! --robyn
ReplyDeleteIt's really hard when I see a child come in for trauma's. I remember the first little girl I saw come in who had drown and she didn't make it. Gabe jumped in the pool not a week later and Erik had to jump in fully clothed to save him. It was horrible and I hope to never be put in that situation. You're right, we should all take a step back and just spent more time with what matters most, family.
ReplyDeleteI had a similar experience in the ER with a 2 yr old, who didn't make it. I didn't have kids then, but a 2 yr.old nephew. It really hit home and I had to walk out of the trauma room as the tears flowed. Life is so precious and can be so short, we really need to step back, slow down and enjoy every moment. Thanks for the reminder.
ReplyDeleteThat sucks! It reminds me of my first code. Some things you never forget :( Now visit my blog because I changed it som its not ugly anymore. Not GREAT but not ugly.....at least I hope. Let me know
ReplyDelete